Not that there was a lot of competition from prior years but 2011 has been a banner year for health and fitness for us. Here are our top 10 for 2011:
10. smplfit.com launch.
At the start of this year we had no idea that this would come about, but it has turned into one of the greatest things we could ever do together.
9. Diana squats body weight.
Another goal that wasn’t set until much later in the year, but one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done. When I started with just the bar I never thought I had the ability to get here.
8. Ben benches body weight for the first time in his life.
Benching your own body weight, is one of the weight lifting goals that Ben has thought about since high school. He was thrilled to reach that.
7. Our kids eat sweet potatoes and spinach in the same meal.
Coming from chicken nuggets and hot dogs…..enough said.
6. Ben squats 1.5x body weight.
A standard beginning weight lifting goal. 290 lbs. is very impressive when last January his goal for the year was only 250 lbs.
5. Diana certified as a personal trainer by NASM.
It took many hours of studying and 2 trips to the testing center!
4. Ben runs 5 miles in 45 minutes.
Ben’s concentration this year for running has been to get faster. He didn’t think he could make it this year, but switched to running outside for a few days, and it was no problem.
3. Ben achieves goal weight of 180 lbs.
Even though it was aided by a stomach flu he finally loses 100 pounds. And not that weight is the most important measurement, but it is fantastic motivation.
2. Diana starts lifting heavy and vanquishes the cardio monster.
After years of thinking running was the only answer to fit legs, and size 2 pants, Diana saw the light. Lifting heavy things is so much more satisfying!
1. We started working together as a family to be healthier and help others do the same.
This was by far the best thing of 2011. We have always wanted to work together on a project and there couldn’t have been a more perfect and productive undertaking.
We achieved a lot of great things this year and we expect even greater things in 2012. Happy New Year!